Cookies on The Parent Connection: The couple connection uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use the couple connection, we will assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this site.

exercising rights to access a child in uk

Posted by: Anonymous
Sun 8, Apr 2012 at 6:22pm

hi there
i am married to a British national . with this marriage i have a son. after 3 years of marriage the relation is not working out well as he came to UK with our son alone and left me in Pakistan. so i came here with all my struggle on student visa to see my son. but my visa will be expired after one year..then i have to go as my husband is not willing to send his son back to Pakistan with me.also i do not want to separate my son from his father.because this is not my son's fault that our marriage is not working out well. somebody told me to apply for a contact order. in this way he will be bound and cannot snatch my son from me. and later i can apply for access to child visa on this basis. is it true?? can somebody tell me how to apply for contact order? and can i make an in country application for exercising rights to access a child or do i have to leave the country to apply for visa in this category?
but please somebody tell me how to get a contact order for my child?

  This was of help to 100% of people  


  • User-anonymous Anonymous Flag

    Hello there, I'm sorry that your marriage didn't work out. I can see that you are really worried about how this will affect you and your son. I don't know about visa's and your status in this country but someone else on the forum will probably help you with that. Can I ask some questions?
    Am I right in thinking that you expect your son to live with his father? Or do you want him to live with you?
    Are you hoping to remain in the UK or do you plan to return to Pakistan?
    I'm not sure whether this makes any difference but where was your son born?
    A contact order is a court order which specifies when the child will spend time with the parent they don't live with. Although you could fill in the court forms yourself to apply for a contact order, I think it would be helpful if you had advice from a family lawyer who could also advise you about your immigration status. You could find a solicitor by using this link - If you have a low income, search for a solicitor who offers legal aid.

    Sun 8, Apr 2012 at 7:59pm
  • User-anonymous Anonymous Flag

    for applying a contact order from a court do the couple need to be legally separated or divorced ?? can any one from here answer me ???

    Mon 9, Apr 2012 at 12:53pm
  • User-anonymous Anonymous Flag

    Any parent can apply. It doesn't matter if you're married, separated or divorced.

    Mon 9, Apr 2012 at 12:56pm
  • Pc chas Flag

    You can definitely apply for a contact order. It might be worth you checking your immigration status. If you have a contact order it wont necessarily mean you can stay in UK. A starting point for immigration advice can often be a Law Centre. You might also be able to obtain useful advice, particularly if you were hoping at any time to return to Pakistan with your son, from the Reunite web site and they also have a useful help line.

    Tue 10, Apr 2012 at 8:12am
  • User-anonymous Anonymous Flag

    thanxss alot for the comments,, it really helped alot

    Sat 14, Apr 2012 at 8:47pm