Cookies on The Parent Connection: The couple connection uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use the couple connection, we will assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this site.

My ex has put restrictions on what I can do and who I see with my children.

Posted by: Anonymous
Wed 1, Feb 2017 at 5:48pm
After Separation


I've been separated from the mother of my two children for a couple of years now and I have begun to move on with my life, so much so that my new partner and I are expecting a child of our own in August, we have had our ups and downs recently and we have both been through a lot in this last year which has contributed to that but we are committed to each other and this little life we are going to receive.
My problem is this, since me and my ex separated she has restricted my family from seeing our children for no other reason than they don't get along, I've been patient over the years and tried to compromise but I've had no success. Now with a baby on the way I want very much for my children to be a part of their new siblings life but this too is met with uncooperative and defensive behaviour from my ex, she want them to have nothing to do with their sibling or my new partner and I have reached the end of my patience for playing games like this, I feel she is deliberately trying to prevent me from moving on with a happy life involving my children.
She has no grounds to stop be from taking the children to see my family or my partner but I haven't done so in an attempt to keep the peace, however now my future and the future of the children is beginning to suffer because of this and I feel I need to do something to change this but I have no idea what.

What, if anything can I do to alleviate this situation and be aloud to move on without my ex controlling our lives?

  This was of help to 0% of people  


  • User-anonymous vwgolfnutter Flag

    Do you have a court order for access?
    I would suggest mediation as you have to do that first in any case before any court takes place, perhaps you can then talk about things and work something out.
    If that is met with bad vibes then you can apply to court to have access via a child arrangements order and stipulate that you are allowed to take the child to see your family, unless there is a genuine reason im sure you will be allowed this.

    Thu 2, Feb 2017 at 1:57pm
  • Pc jaybee (moderator) Flag

    Hi, thanks for your post. I agree with the response you've had so far. Mediation is definitely worth considering. Each of you will be offered an individual appointment initially and this would be a chance to get some things off your chest and then focus on the most important points.
    Let us know what you think of this advice.

    Fri 3, Feb 2017 at 1:53pm