Cookies on The Parent Connection: The couple connection uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use the couple connection, we will assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this site.

Where do I stand

Posted by: Anonymous
Mon 11, Sep 2017 at 11:08am

Today,my wife and I have agreed that it is best we separate. There will be an amount of issues to deal with. We have 2 young children. When we separate, being the male, it will be me leaving the family home. I guess my question is, I earn about £20,000 a year, my wife earns twice that. She legally owns two thirds of the house. When we separate, I would need to afford a property that could accommodate my kids when I have them. I live in an area where a 1 bed flat can cost £120,000. Does my wife have any legal responsibility to help financially with costs of making sure the children have suitable accommodation when they come to stay with me?

  This was of help to 0% of people  


  • Pc jaybee (moderator) Flag

    Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear you and your wife feel you can no longer stay together. My hope for both of you and your children is that you can work through the things that need to be sorted out by negotiation and agreement, wanting the best you can manage for everybody.
    As far settlements of this sort are concerned, there's no 'law' as such that would over ride any agreement that a couple could come to between themselves. If you think it might be difficult to resolve things on your own, then you might want to think about using a mediation service. National Family Mediation have a website which will give you more information about how they can help and direct you to a mediation service in your area.
    I hope this is useful.

    Tue 12, Sep 2017 at 8:36am